Saturday, 14 August 2010

Summer Heat Pt2

The huge ship slowly revolved as it aligned to its destination. The image of a screaming face personified the titan perfectly. For millions of people that visage had been the last thing they would ever see, moments before a bright beam of destructive light had burst from its mouth and enveloped their ship. Avatar. The manifestation of a God come to earth.

I thought it was beautiful. Dwarfing my ship by hundreds of thousands of tons it was a flying city, with close to fifteen thousand inhabitants. As it revolved the sun glinted off the burnished gold plating covering the massive bulge at the front of the ship. Admittedly it was turning so slowly that it was more like an eclipse that an alignment.

"Denna get us permission to dock please, we need to meet someone inside"

"Doing it now, Captain"

I watched that huge maw approach and enclose around us. Suddenly I had a inkling of what normal humans must think around us, the feeling that your life is no longer entirely under your own control but is instead commanded by a greater power.

The small destroyer slipped into the docking bay and a tube extended from the hangar wall, connecting with the centre of the ship, protection against the harsh vacuum that filled the vast space

Docked. Finally I can get off this ship. As much as I love both it and my crew, it is not large and exercise and personal space are both hard to find. Pods are great for piloting, but the lack of room to move around in them has always made me feel stiff when I leave one.

"OK guys, you've got 5 hours to entertain yourselves while I go and meet our guy. Remember all of you no fighting, Mikhail, no girls, I don't want a repeat of last time, Denna, sorry to put this on you but its your job to keep tabs on everyone and make sure they stay out of trouble."

"Got it captain" replied Denna "Right everyone lets get going, we're going to go find a good bar to hang around in."

The crew walk out chattering excitedly. One young woman, however, continues to stand and watch Shota

I watched everyone head for the exit. Hopefully they wouldn't get in too much trouble. I guessed that Mikhail would be too busy trying to charm Denna to focus on any of the local girls. Last time we had docked a a station with a good bar he had ended up sleeping with the local Serpantis drug lord's girlfriend. Fastest exit I have ever had to make from anywhere. Someone caught my attention then began to walk towards me. Rebbecca seemed to want something.

"Captain, I..err..well...Can I ask you a favour?" she asked in a rush.

"Of course you can. You don't need to be so nervous about asking me a anything" I laughed, "I might get angry at what you say but I will always listen to you first."

"Thanks captain, um, can I come with you? I'm not sure if the crew have really accepted me yet and I'm sure it would help you to have me along to any negotiations. I am trained to recognise emotions remember." She had a hopeful look on her face.

I knew exactly what was wrong with her. She was new to the crew, having only been here a week and didn't feel that they really liked or knew her yet. This exact same thing had happened to almost every crew member I had ever had. I also knew the perfect remedy for her nervousness.

"Rebbecca, there aren't going going to be any negotiations. The guy I'm meeting is an old friend who has some information for me. At most he will ask for a small fee, more likely he will give it to me as a gift. If you want to get accepted by the crew you are going to have to go and have a laugh with them, have a drink or two, and find something stupid to do. I don't know any better way to bond with someone that to get totally hammered with them."

I tried to tell her gently so not to make her unhappy.

"Alright captain" She looked a bit disapointed, "I'll go and catch up with them and have a drink. Good luck with your friend"

My friend. I'm not so sure if he is any more. Its been years since the academy and he has done a hell of a lot better than me at the money making game. The titan was his, if not piloted, then certainly owned by him.

Approaching the exit to the ship she is met by an armed escort. The three security guards all look very nervous at being around a capsuleer and one has visibly shaking hands. She sighs and continues walking, followed by the escort. They guide her to a lift shaft and take up positions around the exit

"Ma'am? Just to warn you we have orders to shoot you if you come down that elevator without us having received orders to let you past. Just so you don't try anything stupid. Nothing personal." The guard captain seemed much more self assured than the other two and I was certain that he was not joking.

"Don't worry, I have no intention of doing anything.... Stupid" That should make them even more nervous I thought grinning.

The lift doors opened and she stepped inside

No comments:

Post a Comment