Monday, 23 August 2010

Blog Banter #1: Griefing is.....?

This is the first time I will have ever taken part in a blog banter so I'm just gonna go ahead and talk about all of the things put forward by Cyberin. Other people who have taken part in this edition of the banter are; Hallan Turrek at A merry life and a short one, Lady Shaniqua at HALLO, CAN I VIOLENCE UR BOAT? and Letrange at A mule in eve
There are quite possibly others but I'm afraid I haven't got a link to your blog so I'm not sure who you are :)
Welcome to the twentieth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. 

With the recent completion of the 3rd installment of the Hulkageddon last month, @CyberinEVE, author of Hands Off, My Loots!, asks: "Griefing is a very big part of EVE. Ninja Salvaging, Suicide Ganking, Trolling, and Scamming are all a very large part of the game. What do you think about all these things? You can talk about one, or all...but just let us know your overall opinion on Griefing, and any recommendations you may have to change it if you think it's needed."


Ok, starting with Ninja salvaging. Is it griefing? Not to me it isn't. CCP have said many times that salvage is not yours unless its in your cargo hold. This is even the law of salvage in real life. Yes you many find a Spanish galleon full of gold, but if someone else gets it first there is nothing you can do about it. Its theirs now. To me this perfectly suits eve, where any fast pilot can make a buck of someone else's efforts. It is actually very easy to defend against Ninja's, but I'm not going to tell you how because it would put me out of a job.
The only part of Ninja salvaging I would consider griefing is the almost inevitable smack in local, which, (most of the time anyway) is started by the pilot who's mission you have found. Therefore it is obvious that he is griefing me and not the other way around, so he should have to send me some ISK to compensate me for any emotional damage I may have suffered due to his insults.
(A future post will be showing my first meeting with a local smacker, and an epic one he was too.)


Suicide Ganking. I have exactly one way to show that it is worthwhile and it can be found here. End of story.


Trolling. Well, as funny as forum posts can be I think this is the closest eve can actually get to real griefing. Insults are fine if you have just had your ship killed and will almost certainly provide a good laugh for whoever did it. Threats also are fine as long as they are kept in-game. Vowing revenge on your attacker and threatening to get your pvp ship/ corp or alliance mates/ etc. to attack them is all fine. 
However when threats move into real life it gets a bit more serious and I would now define it as griefing. Telling someone you hope they die, or get cancer, or threats against them or their family (all of these have been recorded on multiple occasions by various people) is no longer funny but is in fact abuse. People who resort to RL threats need to re-evaluate why they are playing the game.


Scamming. We've all done it. The local tab has flashed, we've quickly checked it and seen 'Send me any amount over 1million isk and have it doubled instantly' Normally we ignore it. But just once we go 'what the hell' and send over 5million isk. 10million comes back. We're now surprised, maybe this time its legitimate. We send another 5mill. 10 comes back. We think 'Wow, its not a scam' and send 50mill. This time nothing comes back and we rage at ourselves for being so foolish.
Scamming is easy to avoid, just don't trust or ignore any offers like that. Maybe 1/1000 people actually are leaving eve and giving out money. I've met one and he gave me 35mill. Not much, but Shota was 6 days old so it was like an early Christmas.
Contract scamming is also easy to avoid. Just check what is in the contract and check how much it is selling for. Double checking is recommended.


Griefing is what you make it. You can complain if someone scams you out of all your money, but really it was avoidable wasn't it. You can be the scammer and if you make over a billion in a week then, congratulations, you used your head and made a profit. Gankers, if your lucky enough to find someone with a valuable cargo, take it! you could be a lot richer soon. Ninja's you are the scourge of the carebear and I salute you for it, salvage is anyone's game and if you get there first, well done.


So what's your opinion? Comments and links to other blogs are always welcome.


For now, 
Fly safe

No comments:

Post a Comment